Maybe you’ve been finding it difficult to get sufficient sleeping hours at night and you keep wondering what could have gone wrong. If you ask for my opinion, my response would be to ask if you’ve change your pillow lately as your problems might result from this shift.
Possibly, you’ve been using pillows that are not suitable for your sleeping position. The truth is using a pillow that suits your sleeping position may be all you need to improve your sleeping condition.
If you are a back sleeper, your sleeping position goes a long way to determine the kind of pillow that will work for you. In fact, experts believe that for you to accomplish your daily dose of 8 hours of sleep requirement for a healthy lifestyle, you need one of the best pillows out there. And as a back sleeper, you don’t need just any pillow, but the best pillow for back sleepers on the market.
So, if you have been looking for the best pillow that will meet your sleeping needs of comfortable, sound, and soothing night sleep, I advise you to read this post to the end. I assure you that the time you’re going to invest reading this content will be worthwhile at the end.
Using ‘cool’ pillows could make all the difference
When shopping for pillows for your household, experts have warned that you should avoid pillows that trap-in heat generated by the body while you sleep.
Warm pillows could create some levels of discomfort since the body temperature needs to drop to a lower level for us to enjoy a sound and comfortable sleep. Hence, it is advisable to buy pillows made with fabrics that allow superior air circulation.back to menu ↑
How to choose the ‘right’ pillow for back sleepers
Observing your most comfortable sleeping position will contribute significantly to help you choose the right pillow.
Naturally, people have different sleeping habits and patterns. While some people may find it comfortable to sleep on their back, there are other people who prefer sleeping on their sides. Then, there are those who sleep on their stomach and lastly, are those people who have mixed sleeping habits and patterns. It’s really as diverse as the human nature.
All of us do not have identical natural curves of the neck. Further, the contours of the neck also see gradual changes in certain cases. From an individual’s point of view, you would essentially look for a pillow which suits the natural curves of your neck and helps in maintaining the proper neck posture while you sleep.back to menu ↑
Main types of pillows
Throughout history, humans have used different kind of objects including stones, wood, and leaves, as pillows while sleeping or relaxing. Today, advancements in knowledge have brought about more convenience to the way we live.
Following series of evolutions, which are the product of continuous research, pillows are now designed to suit an individual’s sleeping style. The following are some of the different pillow dimensions you can find on the market.
- Thin pillows – Thin pillows are ideal for the people who sleep on their back. They prevent your head from being thrown too far forward.
- Thick and firm pillows – These pillows are suitable for side sleepers for filling the gap between the ear and shoulder of the individual.
- Thin flat pillows – These pillows are preferred by individuals who sleep on their stomach. They do not often need a pillow under their head. Some people use a thin flat pillow under their stomach to prevent pain in the lower back.
In addition to the above, you can also find special pillows such as anti-snore and cervical pillows for your specific needs.back to menu ↑
What do you look for in a pillow as a back sleeper?
From the discussion so far, you must have realized that there are different kinds of pillows serving different purposes. What you are looking for in a pillow will be largely determined by the needs for which you’re buying it.
Generally, the features of pillows for back sleepers would be different from that of pillows for side sleepers. And for individuals who sleep on their stomachs, the features are definitely going to be different from the two categories of people mentioned above.
For back sleepers, in particular, your pillow should support your head at the proper height and keep it tilted in the proper position while providing requisite support to your neck and upper back.
Now, let’s consider some of the basic features of some of the best pillows you can find on the market.
- Firmness – The firmness of a pillow is one of the features you should look out for when planning to buy one. This feature is important since it determines the comfort you’re going to derive from using your pillow.
- Cover and Materials – Cover and material matter a lot to most discerning customers and users. This is the point of contact for your body and must be of impeccable quality.
- Eco-friendliness – Pillows with eco-friendliness features will be of a concern to you if you’re conscious and aware of its importance to the environment.
- Cool effect – A good pillow should allow for superior air circulation so as to create a “cool effect” on the users.Research and studies conducted on sleeping have established that in order for you to have a sound and comfortable sleep through the night, the temperature of your body must fall to a lower level while you sleep. Pillows with cool effect can contribute significantly to relaxing and achieving good sleep.
- Malleability – While your pillow needs to be somewhat malleable, it should also provide the much needed support to your neck. A balance must be struck between malleability and firmness.
- Price – For a majority of pillow customers today, price is an important factor. While your pillow must meet all your requirements on the quality front, it should also be pocket-friendly.
Top 5 Best pillows for back sleepers 2017
We have carefully considered all the factors that go into the making of best pillows for back sleepers. Back sleepers need pillows which are not very thick, yet firm enough support the alignment of the spine. However, the head should not go back too far.
We have provided below a brief review of the 5 Best Pillows for Back Sleepers available on the market.
|Classic Brands Cool Sleep Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Gusseted Pillow||Memory foam||5-6 loft||check price|
|Sahara Nights Pillow||100% Polyester Gel Fiber Fill with 100% Cotton Shell||5.9’’||check price
|Coop Home Goods||Visco-elastic memory foam
Bamboo/Polyester Blend Cover
|Adjustable (varies)||check price
|Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic||Memory foam
|5’’||check price (Queen)|
|Best Cervical Orthopedic FULLY Adjustable Neck Support (ANS)||100% cotton||Adjustable (varies)||check price
Classic Brands Cool Sleep Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Gusseted Pillow
This pillow, no doubt, provides great value for the price. The combination of its firmness and malleability is likeable as well as comfortable for back sleepers.
This cool-pass fiber pillow has a 5 or 6 inch loft suitable for back sleepers. It is a popular choice of back sleepers who are looking for a memory foam pillow.
Conveniently enough, it’s machine washable cover allows you the freedom to always use clean pillows. Plus, the Classic Brands is enhanced with strong anti-microbial, hypoallergenic qualities due to the gel memory foam used inside.
Users who are particular about getting the right support for their head, neck and shoulders would find this pillow very comforting while sleeping. It’s a good and cool product as it is well ventilated and does a great job overall at the price tag.
- It cool gel-infused memory foam sufficiently supports to your head, neck and shoulders
- It has just the right density for optimum support
- The cover disperses body heat and wicks away moisture to give you a comfortable sleep
- Medium plush feel
- Super-soft, removable, machine washable cover
- It has the natural anti-microbial, allergen, bacteria, and dust mite resistant qualities of gel memory foam
- The smell on unpacking, which may take a few days to go off.
Sahara Nights Pillow (Queen Size)
This may well be one of the most popular pillows on this price range. Indeed, it’s a smart choice for any back sleeper looking to buy pillows that combine quality with brand acceptability.
This pillow is a popular choice with many hotels because of its soft but firm feel and economic pricing. Still, domestic users who are price conscious may also like this product.
Although, Sahara Night Pillow by Sobel Westex is an ideal product for back sleepers, people with other sleeping habits can also use it conveniently.
- 100% Polyester Gel Fiber Fill with 100% Cotton Shell
- Soft but firm
- Machine washable
- Economic pricing
- Complaints about the flattening out of the pillows when users rest their heads on them
Coop Home Goods – PREMIUM Adjustable Loft
This pillow is the choice of many discerning buyers who are not very particular about the price that they would be paying. High-end customers like the many exceptional qualities of this pillow.
The manufacturers of these pillows claim that they not only make functional and durable products, but endeavor to improve the quality of your everyday life by constantly improving the quality of their products.
The pillows contain a proprietary mix of shredded visco elastic memory foam. Customers can add or remove foam to adjust the pillow to suit their personal comfort level.
This feature also makes these pillows ideal for all sleep positions while also permitting greater ventilation for better alignment.
- Fully adjustable pillow, suitable for all sleep positions.
- Made of CertiPUR-US Certified foam that has no ozone depleting chemicals, making the product environment friendly.
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant. Thus, safe for people with allergies.
- Removable and machine washable covers made with polyester and bamboo derived viscose rayon.
- 30 day, full refund guarantee.
- Perhaps slightly more soft and not so supportive as one would anticipate
Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic
An extremely likeable pillow in the mid-price segment, the product offers many user-friendly benefits. Being safe for pregnant women makes this product stand out amongst its peers.
The manufacturer of Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic pillows often claim that the product is the world’s most comfortable pillows which eliminate the common problems associated with disturbed sleep or lack of sleep due to discomfort on account of a bad pillow.
While the pillows made with shredded memory foam provide support to your neck throughout the night, the unique bamboo cover keeps your pillow cool all night long.
Makers of the Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic also claim that the pillows provide proper alignment of your cervical nerves for optimum sleeping comfort.
This leaves you fresh and alert in the morning. Proper alignment of your back, neck and spine help reduce back and neck pain, insomnia, snoring and orthopedic problems.
- Suitable for all sleep positions.
- Use of CertiPUR-US Certified foam which makes the product absolutely safe for users.
- Hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mite. Thus, safe for people with allergies.
- Machine washable.
- Soft bamboo cover which allows superior air circulation that help keeps the pillow cool.
- 30 day, full money back guarantee.
- A 6-year Warranty.
- A few consumers complain the pillow flattens in the middle
Best Cervical Orthopedic FULLY Adjustable Neck Support (ANS)
This pillow is ideal for users who might be having neck pain. The ease with which you can shape the pillow to your exact liking makes it truly unique, particularly at this price.
The patented feature of this 100% cotton pillow allows you to adjust your neck support zones and headrest by shifting the fills inside. The support of your neck curvature gets customized to maintain your head and neck in a neutral position while you are sleeping.
Further, you can adjust the firmness of your pillow by adding or removing fills through the bottom zipper. You can even pull the fills from one zone and add them to another to make your own unique pillow.
All these unique features make this pillow equally suitable for back sleepers, side sleepers and for those who sleep on their stomach.
The proprietary gel memory cluster fiber fill of the pillow snuggles around your head and neck to give you a cloud-like sensation with orthopedic support.
The firm orthopedic support around the neck permits the neck muscles and shoulders to relax while giving you a sound sleep.
- Freedom to add or remove fills allows you customize the pillow to suit your personal needs
- It cervical design supports the neck optimally and cradles the head, keeping your spine in a neutral position
- Suitable for all sleep positions
- Use of CertiPUR-US Certified shredded gel foam
- Hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mite. Thus, safe for people with allergies
- 100% Machine washable
- Removable cover
- 5 Year limited warranty
- There have been complaints that the pillow hurts the neck
There is no such thing as the perfect pillow. Every product has its ups and downs, yet there are some distinguishing characteristics which make one product supreme in comparison to another. In this sense, we can safely say that all of the products in this list are good for their purpose and in particular for back sleepers.
Based on our testing and research, each product in this list is recommended as it can accommodate for the needs of a back sleeper. Given the importance of a good pillow to ensure a restful and free of pain sleep, we suggest that you take a look at the options above and decide which suits you best, depending not only on your sleeping position, but also given other characteristics like cooling effect and malleability.
A great pillow for a back sleeper should be supportive of the head at an appropriate height and maintain it tilted in the proper position, while it also nurtures for support of the neck and upper back.
Follow our advice and you can be relieved by the benefits of each of the pillows proposed in this guide.